Saturday 17 March 2007

Facing the FAcTs




At the age of nine I was looking really chunky, I was picked on at school and felt ashamed of myself and hated school because of it.
So began the cycle of starvation for days followed by cramming in as much high sugar high fat food as I could.
By the time I was 11 I weighed 11 stone and was a size 14. School summer dresses were a problem as back then when overweight children were not so common, they only made these dresses up to a size 12. I remember the embarrassment I felt when the ever so skinny shop assistant. looked at me disapprovingly as she told my mum the news.
I sweltered in the summer in that thick winter uniform.

At 12 years old I was taken to the dietitian by my worried parents, I was now 12 stone, and put on what seemed a starvation diet if Ryvita and salad, at least that’s all I can remember about it. I now had everyone on my case, treating me, or so it felt, like I was a greedy lazy little naughty fat girl, who needed to be told off all the time and treated with no respect until I showed signs of losing weight.
And so, I became obsessed with food, I took to creeping down stairs into the fridge and cupboards and stealing and scoffing whole packets of ham, cheese, chocolate biscuits and anything tasty I could find. Only then for my parents to discover the stolen food and tell me off in front of everyone and anyone and humiliate me beyond belief, making me out to be so greedy stealing everyone else’s food. Well what did they expect when I was being starved all day and made to feel awful and ashamed of letting people see me eat?
It got so bad that I would take £1 out of my mums purse and sneak to the sweet shop and buy as much chocolate as I could and then hide it under my bed. I had stashes of food hidden everywhere!

This went on until I left home, at 15 I weighted nearly 16 stone and was now a size 18, while everyone else at school was enjoying P.E. classes I did anything I could to get out of it. I hated the drama of when the 2 most slim pretty popular people would be chosen by the teachers to pick out from the class who was to be on their team. They would choose all their friends first, then the fittest people, then at the end there would be just me and a couple of the geekiest most picked on individuals left. They would then laugh and take the mickey and would moan about which of the crap people they were going to get lumbered with on their precious teams. It makes my blood boil just to think back on those memories!
Needless to say though many of those pretty girls had their kindness repaid as many of them I have I seen in recent years have weight problems or are just plain ugly now!!
Sorry, but Ha bloody Ha!

So I left home at 16, and my weight stabilised for a while, I didn’t put any on for a couple of years. Then I made one big mistake. I started seeing a guy, I can’t now begin to imagine why I became so infatuated with him, but I did, and so when he told me he really liked me BUT would only really want to go out with me if I lost some weight, I agreed.
I went to a dodgy doctor and was given an appetite suppressant and stimulant called Duremine. This gave me endless energy and no need for food! I lost a stone and a half in 4 weeks, the compliments were flooding in and I felt fantastic. UNTIL ONE NIGHT I PASSED OUT.
My appetite had been so suppressed I was barely eating anything but the odd bit of salad or fruit, after 5 weeks of this my body couldn't’t take it, and walked home one night I blacked out and woke up vomiting. I was shaking so violently I was frightened.
I went to a real doctor and he told me “stop the Duremine.”
2 months later I had regained all of the weight lost and added on to it another 8 lbs.
Over the next year and a half after a cycle of yo -yo dieting I went to weight watchers only to discover I was now up to 17.10 stone.
I remember feeling quite shocked and upset at this figure.
My new boyfriend was supportive and really liked me just as I was which stopped me from considering any more nasty diet tablets!
Weight watchers I felt was quite good, I did manage to lose a slow steady stone through good eating and the support of the meetings.

Shortly after this period I met Derek, my now husband. We got together, and for a while I think we both lost weight due to the passionate nature of our relationship!!
Soon that familiar comfort and cosiness of being together set in and we loved going out to restaurants and pubs together or staying in and having fine food and wine and having friends round for parties all based around music and food. We planned to get married and we were both conscious of our bloated bellies and so we joined the David Lloyd club to try and get into shape!
Well, I remember ambling around doing a bit of this and a bit of that, sometimes working to hard, and other times not really doing anything.
At the time I had no idea about weight training and nutrition and so I did lose some weight but not much, and probably lost more muscle tissue than fat.

No comments:

Foundations for a Better Physique now on Kindle! Get your Kindle here.